Whenever we try to format a pen drive or other removable storage devices like memory cards, flash drives, or external HDD. We get an error like “Can’t format the drive, quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and then try formatting again”. There may be two reasons for this problem, either your pen drive is hardware faulty or your pen drive is infected from viruses. In case if its, hardware faulty then there is no way to fix it, until and unless it’s in warranty period. If it’s due to virus infection, then you can fix the unable to format or can’t format the drive problem easily.
Method 1: To Fix Unable to Format Pen drive Problem
1) Plug in pen drive into your computer and click on start button.
2) Open run prompt and type CMD and press enter. It will open MS DOS Command Prompt.
3) In Dos Prompt, Type “Format X:/FAT32”, without inverted commas and press enter. Don’t forget to replace X with your pen drive or External HDD drive letter.
4) Once done, your pen drive will start formatting.
Most of the times above method works, In case if it’s not working for you. Then follow next Method
Method 2: To Fix Unable to Format Pen drive Problem
1) Plug in your pen drive into computer, and click on start button.
2) Now, Click on Run prompt and then type “compmgmt.msc”, without inverted commas in run prompt and press enter. It will open a computer management window.
3) Click on Disk management from right pane, A Disk management options pane will open on right side.
4) Right click on your pen drive and select format.
it will format your pen drive suffering with cannot format the drive problem, In case If both the above methods are not working for you, then try the 3rd one. It will work for sure.
Method 3: To Fix Unable to Format Pen drive Problem
1) Plug in your pen drive into your computer.
2) Insert windows installation disk and reboot your computer.
3) Enter any key and proceed with the installation, at a particular point of time, It will give you a option like “Format Your PC”. Press enter key and proceed with it.
4) After that, Windows will detect all your hard disk partitions, pen drive will also appear on screen.
5) Now, Select Pen drive and then press “Delete” key to format your pen drive.
Almost each and every time, the above methods will format your pen drive, which is suffering from unable to format or cannot format the drive error. If none of the above methods are working for you, then most probably your pen drive is hardware faulty.